Wednesday, January 23, 2013

What Garment will you put on?


As I was teaching Noah today, I read ahead to the "thoughts" section written by the author of our curriculum, My Father's World, named Marie Hazell.  It was so wonderful that I thought I'd share it with my blog friends. It is something that has been rattling around in my head  for a while but I could not express it as lovely as she did.... so here goes....

When I awoke this morning, I saw in my mind a clothes rod with a selection of clothes. A song also ran through my mind: "Put on the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness...."

I understood that I had a CHOICE. I could start my day by choosing to put on praise, as if it were a robe; or I could choose something else-dwelling on worry, frustration, unforgiveness, people who have wronged me..

Today I chose praise. I imagined selecting the robe of praise and putting it on. But that wasn't enough. "God what else do I need to understand"? 

Oh- I need to ACTIVELY praise? I spoke out praises to God--"Thank you, God, that You love me enough to enter my life and guide me and teach me the way to go. God, you are amazing! Your forgiveness is sweeter than honey to my deepest needs. I love you! God, you are way bigger than any problem (or person) I will meet today. (Insert my own praise here: "God thank you that even though my dryer caught on fire and is ruined that you spared my house and our lives!!!" ) :) I will rejoice and be glad in what You plan today."


As I praised God, I imagined my robe of praise not just covering me like clothes, but going deep into all of my being, so that praise became a part of my inmost being- TRANSFORMING me!!

We do have a choice. "Choose this day whom you will serve...." (Joshua 24:15)

Today choose the path of blessing. Tell your Father WHY you love Him. The Lord promises to give us "The oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair" (Isaiah 61:3) Which garment do you want to wear today?  

"LET EVERYTHING THAT HAS BREATH PRAISE THE LORD!" (Psalm 150:6)

But please don't think I'm perfect. Right after I wrote this, I got ambushed by a huge blob of despair, gave in to it, and had a miserable day. Early the next morning, I was reminded of another song: "The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, His mercies never come to an end. They are new every morning. Great is they faithfulness, O God."

Oh joy! I could rejoice because "He lifted me out of the slimy pit, of the mud and mire and gave me a firm place to stand.... He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God" (Psalm 40:2-3)

Thank you, God, for your never-ending love and strong arm that reaches down and rescues us. This is a the day the Lord has made! I WILL rejoice and be glad in it.      -------Marie Hazell

Our church theme this year is "Let Christ Jesus be seen in 2013!" In looking for ways to do this in my own life and my family's life ; Praising more and Complaining Less  None :) has been something I will strive to do. 
So....In order for Jesus to be seen in me I must put on the Garment  of Forgiveness, Praise, Peace, Humbleness and Gentleness. If not, I am the same as the rest of the world. Praise, Praise, Praise!! That is what He wants. He has promised Peace and Rest to those of us who dwell in Him. This is the year of Transformed Lives! I want to be one of the Transformed!

Funny Noah & Laurel"ism" : 
While riding in the car listening to a story on a cd about a sheep being sheared: 
Noah asks "Mommy, what does shearing mean?"
Laurel says" It's what God and Jesus want us to do"  (sharing)  ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK--that was a wonderful and uplifting post. Thank you, Martha.
Mommy